Interested in joining our team?
We are always on the look out for top talent. Available positions will be detailed here, but even if you don’t see one, please get in touch anyway – send us an email at email@example.com.
Chief Technology Officer
Role based in Kampala, Uganda (one of the safest, largest, and most developed cities in Africa)
Start date: As soon as possible
Who we are
Motorcycle taxis are immensely popular and serve as the lifeblood of many cities in Africa, but they are extremely unsafe and disorganized. SafeBoda is a pre-series A Ugandan-based tech startup on a mission to make motorcycle taxis (bodas) more safe, affordable, and convenient across Sub-Saharan Africa—while providing a more meaningful and lucrative career for drivers. And we think we have a shot to build a very valuable tech company in the process.
Backed by the Shell Foundation, Development Innovation Ventures USAID, the Global Innovation Fund, and an angel tech investor, SafeBoda is well off to the races: we have nailed the driver-side model with 1000+ drivers, growing at 8% week-on-week over the last 6 months, and we are looking to better monetize our ~20,000 trips in Kampala per day. We have a near-MVP mobile app, but our local tech team of 6 is junior and in need of a strong technical mentor. They’re awesome to work with, humble, and hungry to learn.
We’re searching for a CTO to partner with our Head of Product to build a great consumer app as well as a driver app and backend systems.
Who you are
You’re a rockstar full-stack engineer with strong experience developing beautiful and intuitive mobile user interfaces and the backend to power them. You have a passion for making simple, delightful products that solve everyday problems for consumers. You love technology, but also design, business, and understanding the customer. You have confidence that you can solve any problem (technical or not) that is handed to you.
You’re ready for an international startup adventure and can dedicate significant time to helping it succeed; you have the hustle needed to make things happen in a challenging context. You’re excited about working for a social-focused, for-profit company and laying the foundations of the tech industry in Uganda.
Most importantly, you find meaning in developing others. You love seeing those you mentor reach their goals.
- 4+ years experience in software development in an agile environment
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field
- A strong grasp of object-oriented programming concepts
- Significant experience working with external APIs
- Confidence and experience in redesigning code bases to make them more modular and reliable
You might also have
- Experience in building Android applications with complex user-interface designs
- Passion for building consumer tech products
- Knowledge of messaging services, nosql data structures, and backend architecture
- Experience optimizing and using mobile geo-location data
- Strong Java and PHP skills
- Experience implementing a continuous integration systems using git
- Familiarity with codeigniter and angularjs frameworks
- Experience leading and mentoring developers
A day in the life
- Wake up. Dream about upcoming weekend safari trip as you eat a fresh mango riding a SafeBoda on your way to work.
- Lead our team of engineers to take our customer and driver apps to the next level
- Collaborate with the Head of Product to implement an Innovation Accounting to ensure we’re learning from our development efforts and performing only the highest-value tasks
- Implement needed architecture in order to prepare SafeBoda to scale and provide rock-solid reliability for our existing service
- Take a team lunch break; today’s daily local chef-prepared meal is matooke (pounded, boiled bananas) with peanut soup
- Work in a fast-paced (and sometimes chaotic) environment with radical accountability
- Mentor your team of developers, who are pioneers of consumer-product engineering in Uganda
Why Kampala, Uganda?
The market is ready
- With a current population of 3 million, Kampala is growing rapidly, with a strong middle class and the youngest population on earth
- Kamapla is known for its rapidly developing infrastructure and spirit of entrepreneurship—the city is in the top 3 in Mobile Money use on the continent
- Other prominent tech companies are here (Rocket Internet/Jumia is making a big play, and Kampala is one of Uber’s 4 African markets)
- East Africa is a high growth tech hub
It’s a great place to live
- There is low crime and low threat of political instability or terrorism
- Excellent food scene: restaurants serving amazing food from all around the world
- Often termed “Africa for beginners” due to the easy access to modern conveniences and friendliness of the people
- Strong European/North American expat community
- The weather is incredible all year round
- Central to many incredible vacation spots
The need for this role is urgent, and we’d like the right candidate to start as soon as possible. If you are interested, we’d love to chat with you to answer your questions and discuss any concerns. Shoot your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can set up a time to chat. Looking forward to a conversation.
P.S. Your resume should include any mobile applications that you have launched online or released in the Google Play / App Store. Listing your contributions to open source or side projects is a plus.