Head of Product
Location: Kampala, Uganda, preferred.
Start date: January 2023
Who are SafeBoda?
At SafeBoda we believe that everyone in African cities should have access to affordable services at a click of a button. Our platform is carefully designed to meet the needs of African consumers as a one-stop shop for transportation, payments, and on-demand services. While motorcycle taxis serve as the lifeblood of many cities in Africa, they are extremely unsafe and disorganized. Our safe, convenient, transportation platform provides for Africa’s booming young population as well as creates community and stability for our rider fleet. Our payments and on-demand services empower our users to transfer money, pay bills and deliver packages instantly from the comfort of their homes.
Operational in Uganda and Nigeria, we are a venture-funded Series B company that is already having a huge impact on millions of people in Africa. Our backers include Google, Unbound, GoVentures (GoJek’s VC), AllianzX, Yamaha, and Beenext, among others. We have a passionate and highly engaged team of superstars based in East and West Africa. Together we aim to revolutionize transport and payments delivery in Africa’s cities.
As the Head of Product, you will lead product development at SafeBoda. You will work with senior management to craft the product roadmap and set product direction. You will lead a team of product managers ensuring each vertical has a coherent strategy that is aligned with business objectives and you will ensure that all features are fully scoped and detailed before implementation by the engineering team. You will lead on customer discovery, ensuring that we are collecting feedback in a structured and timely manner. We are looking for an entrepreneurial and passionate person to innovate and execute across a rapidly growing, fast paced company.
What we are looking for:
● Have 8+ years of experience in product management, development, and design, delivering highly successful and innovative products that customers love.
● Experience crafting and delivering a product roadmap in a fast-paced environment with continually evolving business objectives and implementation constraints.
● Understand software development, agile development methodologies, and how a product team can enable the engineering team to maximize output.
● Experience collecting, analyzing, and iterating using quantitative and qualitative customer data. You should love chatting with users and attaining insights to build a better product.
● Be emotionally intelligent, humble, and excited to work within a team with a diverse set of experiences, backgrounds, and skills.
● Exhibit the ability to navigate ambiguity, juggle multiple tasks, think independently and problem-solve like a boss.
● Strong undergraduate degree (or higher) with demonstrated strong academic performance.
● Excitement for SafeBoda and what we are trying to achieve.
● Lead all dimensions of product development for the SafeBoda applications: visioning, long-term road mapping, daily prioritization, feature design, development, and user experience testing.
● Be the champion of the product – make the tough calls. Support the development team and hold them accountable
● Manage and lead a growing team and work with the CTO and Senior Leadership to steer product development.
● Oversee the product testing and iteration with a strong focus on user-centered design. This means understanding the customer's needs and being the voice of the customer.
● Communicating with stakeholders on the product, its development, performance, and opportunities.
● Serve as a customer and business proxy to the engineering team, communicating business vision, strategy and interests to the product and engineering teams.
● Competitive salary
● Free tasty lunch every day for all staff at the SafeBoda academy
● Free SafeBoda wallet balance to take daily rides to and from work
● Life & Health Insurance
● Paid Annual leave
● A supportive team environment with mentorship from SafeBoda leadership
● Be part of a team at the pinnacle of tech entrepreneurship in Africa
● Community – we started as a small community of Boda drivers and we will never forget this. We share lunch and we care about our community of staff, drivers, entrepreneurs, and customers.
● Innovation – we challenge the status quo and believe that positive change is possible. We bring solutions that constantly require us to think out of the box.
● Transparency – We are open-minded in what we do. We have candor and share our experiences openly without fear of judgment. We love feedback on our product and on our own personal performance so that we can improve every day.
● Safety – if we don’t care about safety ourselves, then how can we change our industry for the better?
● Trust – we expect customers to trust our drivers and entrepreneurs, so we need to trust one and another in everything we do.
● Integrity - We hold ourselves to the highest standard and we are accountable for our actions. We deliver what we say we will deliver.
● Collective Commitment - teams and entrepreneurs are allowed to disagree while a decision is being made; however, everybody must commit to it once a decision has been made. “I agree and I commit, I disagree and I commit”.
Ready for the Challenge?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and CC email@example.com, attaching your CV and a Cover Letter indicating why you are the right fit for the role. Please use “Head of Product Application” as the email subject