Head of Fintech
Role based in Kampala, Uganda
Start date: Immediate
Who we are
Motorcycle taxis are immensely popular and serve as the lifeblood of many cities in Africa, but they are extremely unsafe and disorganized. SafeBoda is a Ugandan-based startup on a mission to make motorcycle taxis (bodas) more safe, affordable, and convenient across Sub-Saharan Africa—while providing a more meaningful and lucrative career for drivers
At the click of a button, SafeBoda provides a safe, more convenient, mobile-first transportation platform for Africa’s booming young population. On the high-frequency use of our transportation service, SafeBoda is providing value to consumers, our drivers and passengers, with additional financial services, payments and other on-demand services to keep Africa moving forward.
What we are looking for
SafeBoda is looking for a Head of Fintech to lead all payments and financial services work at SafeBoda across East Africa. We believe our team can move quicker and smarter and build value in East Africa. The person will be responsible for the strategic vision of the fintech layer of SafeBoda’s service. In particular, you will be designing and implementing a range of financial products and services for our target consumer which are the SafeBoda drivers and passengers. This will require working with a range of actors. In addition, this will be an exciting and challenging role that enables the successful applicant to play a pivotal part in identifying, testing and scaling opportunities for SafeBoda to offer access to financial products and services to millions of underbanked East Africans.
Below are key responsibilities and qualifications.
- Lead the financial services and payments offering at SafeBoda
- Manage a series of partnerships with financial institutions and partners across multiple areas
- Develop highly scalable products and lead and inspire a high-performing cross-functional team across Product, Engineering and Operations.
- Scale a team rapidly to deliver on very ambitious targets
- Support the company to ensure SafeBoda becomes a leader in fintech in East Africa
You should have:
- +5 years leading in fintech, banking, payments, tech or a similar field
- Proven leadership and ability in scaling a team
- Experience in fintech/banking/microfinance in East Africa, Uganda is a plus
- Product development experience is a plus
- Familiarity with the financial regulatory environment in Africa
- Bachelor’s degree in a business or finance related field with academic excellence
- Pro-active ability to move fast, innovate and find creative solutions
- Solid analytical skills and advanced experience of Excel
- Passionate about financial services and financial inclusion
- Excellent communication skills with the flexibility to negotiate corporate partnerships one minute and explain financial concepts to SafeBoda riders the next
- Love our product and be curious about how it works
- Live the SafeBoda values, represent the company in everything you do and constantly fly the flag.
The need for this role is urgent, and we’d like the right candidate. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating why you would like to join as and with your CV/Resume attached.