Android Senior Engineer
Role primarily based in Kampala, Uganda
Start date: Immediate
Who we are
Motorcycle taxis are immensely popular and serve as the lifeblood of many cities in Africa, but they are extremely unsafe and disorganized. SafeBoda is a startup on a mission to make motorcycle taxis (bodas) more safe, affordable, and convenient across Sub-Saharan Africa—while providing a more meaningful and lucrative career for drivers. And we think we have a shot to build a very valuable tech company in the process.
SafeBoda is growing fast with our mobile app in terms of completed rides in Kampala, Uganda. We are venture backed with investors from Silicon Valley, UK, Africa and Asia and we have high ambitions to scale our solution rapidly across East and West Africa.
Who you are
You're a software engineer with strong experience developing beautiful and intuitive mobile user interfaces. You have a particular interest and ability in Android development. You have a passion for making simple, delightful products that solve everyday problems for consumers. You love technology, but also design, business, and understanding the customer. You have confidence that you can solve any problem (technical or not) that is handed to you. You have the hustle needed to make things happen in a challenging context.
- 4+ years experience in software development
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Demonstrated experience producing object-oriented, structured, readable and testable code
- Experience in a software development role, working with both frontend and backend technologies
- Experience with Kotlin
- Strong knowledge of Google APIs
- You have contributed to shipping one or more app in the Playstore
- Knowledge of current trends in software design, architecture and web services (especially REST)
- Working knowledge of NoSQL (MongoDB) and relational databases (Postgres)
- Experience using modern version control systems such as Git
- An attitude of accountability and knowledge-sharing—you enjoy reviewing others' code and sharing your knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills - you can spar with engineers, product owners and other stakeholders
- English language fluency
- Follow agile methodologies to continuously improve our frontend app
- Identify and share your knowledge of state-of-the-art technologies that will help us innovate faster
- Help our team to develop amazing user experiences for mobile
- Write unit, functional and integration test for your code.
- PHP/Elixir for the backend (Laravel, Phoenix).
- Kotlin for Android, Swift for iOS.
- MongoDB and Postgres for database.
- Jenkins and CircleCI for CI.
- Docker for containerisation.
- Git for version control (GitHub).
How to apply
Shoot your CV/Resume and Github to email@example.com, and we can setup a time to chat.